Wednesday 22 July 2009

Eckhart Tolle - The Space in which Life happens

Some of you I'm sure are already familiar with Eckhart Tolle's best selling book "The Power Of Now." The book which was published ten years ago sold millions of copy's world wide. Since then Tolle has continued to lecture and talk to audiences all round the world about being in the now, or acting in the present. Essentially he is speaking the supreme knowledge of  Pure Consciousness or Vedanta, the same truth as many spiritual teachers before him have taught. I think of my own Guru the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who brought the knowledge of Vedanta along with Transcendental Meditation to the attention of the west back in the sixties. Maharishi gave us this technique of meditation, for us to go beyond conscious thought and connect with pure consciousness and ultimately bliss. Regular transcending increases and stabilises that quality of pure consciousness, and once that is enlivened and established in the individual consciousness, everything we do comes from that field of pure consciousness. It is what we ultimately strive for, whether we know it or not. 
Yogosta Kuru Karmani  (Established in the self, perform right action). 
 The thing that makes Tolle different is that he is a western teacher, born in Germany, who had no spiritual guru, who woke up one day and was self- realised after many years of struggle and unhappiness. His knowledge is easy understand, without the use of words which many people in the west find confusing. His approach is simple and straight forward, he doesn't prescribe a method of meditation to help us be present in the moment.
 "So what does he say ?" Well if you are ready to listen to him, click on to this clip and find out. Or click onto the Eckhart Tolle TV 

4 comments:

  1. I keep coming across Tolle's video clips via people I meet in the internet and this one didn't disappoint me like his others.

    Thank you Tanya for the gentle reminder of the essence of what life is and how much of an urgency there is to try and stop us from self destructing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to thank my friend Joanna for mailing the link to me. She saw Tolle a couple of years ago up at Findhorn and was really impressed by him. I read his book which I found interesting, but thought I knew much of what he was saying already. However after seeing that clip and some of the others I was so pleased because he shared something so important with me, something which has made a huge difference...... It was so simple He is an enlightened teacher.
    Anyway I'm glad you found it interesting. You know It's a strange thing, I started writing this blog fairly recently, and I wasn't sure at first what to include. It seems now to be turning into something more of my own personal spiritual journey. A bloggers guide to the universe and all that!! I can't help it really as i feel compelled to share the knowlegde.
    Tell me if it gets boring won't you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing boring here so keep it up I say!

    I do like to listen to Tolle and it's true for me also when you say not that much new teachings or philosophy have come from his mouth, although it's clearly (!) the way he says these things.

    Hope you are well and having a lovely weekend.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouragement I appreciate it. As you seem to be my only blog follower I must keep you interested!

    ReplyDelete